DIY Gold Tipped Antlers


I have a fun, ridiculously easy DIY project to share today. Is it just me, or do other people's husbands/boyfriends have an excessive amount of deer antler sheds just lying around their house? Because I've already decorated with at least three, and I keep finding more in random boxes. (Also, for those of you who didn't grow up in the wilderness, these bits of antlers are called shed and fall off deer naturally. My husband usually picks them up off the ground when he goes camping). This is such a ridiculously easy way to get a rustic glam look. (Meanwhile, my husband is trying not to fall over as I desecrate these hallowed treasures.)


Step 1. Locate a shed. Apparently these are even for sale on ebay. I seem to have a million of them in random closets and boxes. But if you aren't related to or dating an outdoor aficionado you can sometimes find them at flea markets or antique shops.


Step 2: Tape off the area you want to spray. If you have terrible aim like me, poke holes in a plastic bag to cover the rest of the antler like some sort of bizarre plastic buffalo. It's awesome.


Step 3: Spray the antlers with gold spray paint and let dry. Caution: this stuff is strangely addicting and you may be hit with the sudden urge to spray paint everything gold. Dresser knobs, picture frames, your dog...(just kidding on that last one!!)


Step 4: Suuuuuper carefully peel off the tape and prance around your house holding the antler aloft showing off your beautiful tchotchke. Or, you know, behave like a normal person and just stick it on a dresser somewhere. But make sure to look at it appreciatively every now and then, because it is a pretty cool object.

No comments